Saturday, June 28, 2014

Hex - The Morning After

that is one beautiful box

So I'm sitting here exhausted, hot and thirsty.

This doesn't stop me from drinking my coffee though. I drove home this morning as the eastern horizon began to glow and by the time I got to bed you could see by the gray early light. Five hours of energy then five hours of sleep later I'm contemplating my next move.

Tom prospecting before dark

I was supposed to work today but I don't care- everyone else is on vacation this week, why should I work myself to death? I spent the whole week in that hazy twilight of sleep deprivation, caffeine, alcohol and bad food. I spent every moment I wasn't swinging a paint brush or patching a wall or hanging a mirror (I work in construction) thinking, planning and scheming.

Actually I did those things while working. After work, and while driving between jobs and on my lunch and breaks I was making phone calls, exchanging text messages and gathering intel. The question is always the same: where are the Hex? Where were they last night? Where exactly in three hundred miles of river system was there a spinner fall? Where will it be tonight? Where will it be next week?

Alex starts the hex bite early

It's all a crap shoot. I fished with Tom Hazelton and his friend Adam the other night at a secret walk in location- no bugs and no fish. Not even on a mouse. I hear Zach hooked up on one not far from us though. The next evening they floated the Au Sable and had a late spinner fall and even got an okay fish. I floated last night with Alex. We had a light spinner fall and almost no rising fish. It seemed like everyone but us managed a decent fish though, and in the wee hours of the morning during a barely coherent and patently unsafe drive home that required dodging and braking for multiple deer, we talked about where we should have been, could have been.

"We should have left earlier"

"We should have waited up above"

"We should have pushed down"

We should have, perhaps could have. The truth is it was a weak spinner fall and the fish aren't gaga yet. Late into the night, early in the morning, we set up on a steadily feeding fish. It was two feet off the bank in a back eddy with a big shrub just upstream of it. We worked this fish for an hour before getting it to eat. When it did there was a splash, and Alex' line jumped and then nothing.

Reister's boat found a fish. Chris Reister photo

We heard a couple of blurps and splashes on our way out, but never found any more active fish, no more bugs on the water.

And when we got back to the launch we broke the trailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment